Asian Journal of Transfusion Science
Home About Journal Editorial Board Search Current Issue Ahead of print Back Issues Instructions Subscribe Login  Users: 1140 Print this page  Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2013  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 8-10

Evaluation of transfusion-related complications along with estimation of inhibitors in patients with hemophilia: A pilot study from a single center


Department of Transfusion Medicine, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India

Correspondence Address:
Anupam Verma
Department of Transfusion Medicine, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow - 226 014
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0973-6247.106714

Rights and Permissions

Background: Apart from inhibitor development in patients with hemophilia (PWH) the old problems of blood borne viral infections and red cell alloimmunization still persist in PWH from developing countries. This study was planned to detect the presence of inhibitors in our PWH and to determine the presence of transfusion transmitted infections (TTI) markers and clinically significant red cell alloantibodies in these patients. Materials and Methods: One hundred fourteen PWH were screened for various laboratory tests. Screening for inhibitors was done by mixing study. Blood grouping, TTI testing and red cell alloantibody detection were done as per the departmental standard operating procedures. Results: Out of 114 patients evaluated 98(86%) had hemophilia A and remaining 16(14%) had hemophilia B. Five (5.1%) patients of hemophilia A were positive on inhibitor screening. On Bethesda assay, one patient was high responder (14.4 BU/ml) and rest 4 were low responders (<5 BU/ml). Overall, 19 PWH were positive for TTI markers and two had clinically significant red cell alloantibody (anti-E and anti-Jk b ). Conclusion: This is probably first comprehensive study from our state on laboratory testing in PWH. The specialty of Transfusion Medicine can be a core part of hemophilia care. The overall prevalence of inhibitors in our hemophilia A patients was 5.1%, which is less as compared to majority of published studies.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3239    
    Printed136    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded28    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal

 

Association Contact us | Sitemap | Advertise | What's New | Feedback | Copyright and Disclaimer

2006 - Asian Journal of Transfusion Science | Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow
Online since 10th November, 2006